January 21, 2015

The dentist that wasn't so bad.

One thing about me: I hate going to the dentist. I had an experience when I was younger...and let's just say it has stayed with me to this day. A few years ago I had to have some work done on a tooth and I was so visibly anxious that the dentist prescribed a rather lovely sedative that resulted in all sorts of hilarity. (Something with a candy store and a bag of jelly beans. Colin can tell you about it someday.)

Because of this fear, I often wait way too long between visits to the dentist.  Colin had experienced some dental tourism (a form of travel that is becoming more and more popular) in Ecuador a couple of years ago and it turned out just fine, so we thought we would give it a try in Thailand. 

We did a huge amount of research, reading reviews on different dental clinics in Thailand. We read some of the horror stories and warnings to stay away from small, "hole in the wall" places, but there was one place that kept coming up positive. BIDC.


The Bangkok International Dental Center. So many positive reviews and high ratings that we felt like it was the place to go. People come to Thailand just to get work done there. It is the same quality of care by dentist that have the same quality of training as dentists in the US or the UK. And at a fraction of the price. BIDC is also approved by www.medigo.com. 

We took a subway ride across town and made our way to the huge building. It is seven stories and filled with qualified dentist, dental hygienists, and nurses.



We checked in, filled out paperwork, and then a registered nurse took our blood pressure and other vitals before asking us to sit in the comfortable lobby. Everyone spoke English quite well and the whole place was very clean. 



From there we were split up. I went to the 4th floor and Colin to the 3rd. We both had consultations and cleanings. Everything was done in the exact maner that we are used to back home. Colin was given a pat on the back and a clean bill of...teeth. Everything looked good. I, on the other hand, had a cavity. This is why it is important to go regularly! Shame on me. Sigh.

Anyway, as a quasi dental phobic, this was dreaded, even if expected, news. The upside was that they were ready to fix it immediately. No rescheduling. "Let's do it," I shakily said, probably sounding like I was talking about an execution. 


From there it was all pretty standard. Everything was professional and sterile and exactly what one comes to expect from the standard of dental work in the US. The problem was fixed quickly, and even as I write this post, there have been no problems at all. The staff were professional and kind, making sure their patients were comfortable and at ease. 

Overall, it was one of the least terrifying dental experiences I have had. That, in itself, make Thailand even more marvolous for me. So if you are in need of some serious dental work or are heading to this part of the world, check them out. They're alright. And coming from me, that is a big deal.



No comments:

Post a Comment